Southern Cornbread Salad
First ate this at a family reunion. Great cold salad for pot luck, warm weather side dish, parties, and tailgates.
- 1-inch cubed Cornbread- (recipe included)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can niblet or shoepeg Corn- drained
- 1 medium Onion- diced
- 1 medium Bell pepper- diced
- 3 large Tomatoes- diced
- 1 (8 ounce) Ranch dressing bottled
- 2 c. Cheddar cheese (sharp)- grated
- 6 Bacon stripes- cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Golden Cornbread:
- 1 c. yellow corn meal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. butter; melted
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Make cornbread.
- Mix all dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) together in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (milk, eggs and melted butter) to dry mix.
- Mix and beat for 1 minute.
- Bake cornbread mix in a greased 8 inch baking pan. (@ 425 degrees F for 20-23 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Or bake in a greased 8 inch iron skillet.
- Dice onion separately.
- Dice bell pepper separately.
- Dice tomatoes separately.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans.
- Drain corn.
- After cornbread has been cooked, let it cool.
- Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes and layer cubes on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Start layering ingredients.
- Layer beans, then corn, next onion, then bell pepper, next tomatoes, and then cheese on top of cornbread.
- Spread ranch dressing evenly over cheese.
- Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Leave a review or comment