Smoked ham hocks and split pea soup
I got this recipe from here: http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl17c5.htm It is crazy easy to make, has delicious rib-sticking flavor, and goes even better with a loaf of homemade bread.
- 1 lb dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1 1/2 qts. hot water
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well. Serves 8.
Leave a review or comment