Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
This is a combination of different recipes that I have tweaked and believe I have created the perfect chicken taco soup. It is easy and tastes GREAT! The seasoning is not my own it is actually Bill Echlos Taco Seasoning I got off the internet. When making the soup I use heaping fulls of each seasoning ingredient.
- 1 - large onion, chopped (I prefer large Sweet or Vidalia, also don't use a food processor because it chops the onion too much and then it messes up the texture of the soup)
- 5-8 - cloves of fresh garlic, chopped (you can use more or less depending on your personal preference)
- 1 - 16oz can of chili beans
- 1 - 15oz can black beans
- 1 - 15oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 - 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 10 oz Beer (I use Bud Light)
- 2 - 10oz cans of Rotel chunky diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins (I use 2 1/2 because I like it thick)
- Optional: Sour Cream, Cheese, Tortilla Chips
- Seasoning: (remember - use heaping fulls of each)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper..
- Note: For a healthier dish use reduced sodium beans and corn, fat free/low fat cheese and sour cream, reduced fat/reduced sodium chicken broth, and baked tortilla chips.
- Place onion, garlic, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker/Crockpot. Add seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken tenderloins on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker on low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
- At 5 hrs remove the chicken from the soup and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Shred the chicken and put it back in the soup. Continue cooking on low for 2 more hours.
- Optional - Serve individual bowls topped with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and tortilla strips.
Leave a review or comment