Slow Cooked Pulled Barbecue Chicken
From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two page 108 Cooker size: 1 1/2-3 qt Setting and Cooking time: Low for 7-8 hours
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped I used dried onion flakes because it's what I had
- 1 small clove garlic, minced I used 2 because I put them in my garlic press & increased the recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken THIGHS I used 4 boneless, skinless breasts
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 TBSP cider vinegar I used regular white vinegar because it's what I had
- 2 TBSP light brown sugar
- 1 TBSP olive oil I used vegetable oil because it's what I had
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder I used a Mexican seasoning because it's what I had
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Hamburger buns
- 1. Sprinkle the onion and garlic over the bottom of the crock and arrange the chicken thighs on top. I threw in some chopped green bell peppers too.
- 2. In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, oil, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, chipotle chile powder and salt; pour over the thighs. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours, until the chicken is fork tender and pulls apart easily.
- 3. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. With two forks, pull apart the meat into shredded chunks; return to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and leave on the KEEP WARM setting until ready to serve. Serve spooned onto warmed hamburger buns.
- Because I used chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, I increased the garlic. I'm thinking I should have doubled the sauce as well. There was enough sauce to cover the chicken breasts (I spooned it on top of them). There was also a little bit of sauce that went down under the chicken. I'm thinking I would have liked to have put sauce on the chicken breasts, flipped them over and sauced the other side as well.
- When I've done pulled pork, I've melted cheese on the hamburger buns in the oven. That's probably how I'll toast the hamburger buns this time too.
Leave a review or comment