Skirt Steak Fajitas With Lime, Chili, And Tomatillo Salsa
- 3 lrg onions peeled, and cut
- lengthwise into wedges/ root ends intact
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. fresh lime juice
- 3 lb skirt steak
- 1 Tbsp. ancho chili pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. grnd cumin
- 1 Tbsp. grnd coriander
- 24 x flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 c. fresh cilantro
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (see recipe)
- Metal skewers or possibly a grill basket
- Prepare grill for cooking.
- Thread onions onto skewers (or possibly put in grill basket), then brush with 1 Tbsp. oil and season with salt and pepper. When fire is medium-warm (you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds), grill onions, turning occasionally, till tender, 16 to 20 min. Transfer to a cutting board. When just cold sufficient to handle, cut onions into 1-inch pcs and toss with vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- While onions are grilling, stir together the lime juice and remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a shallow dish, then add in steak and marinate at room temperature, turning once, 10 min.
- Pat steak dry, then rub with chili pwdr, cumin, and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Grill steak on lightly oiled grill rack, turning once, 6 to 10 min total for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board, then let stand 5 min before cutting diagonally into thin slices.
- While steak is standing, toast tortillas directly on grill rack, turning once, till puffed slightly and browned in spots, about 1 minute total. Serve steak, onions, cilantro, and salsa all wrapped in tortillas.
- This recipe yields about 8 servings.
- Comments: If you aren't able to grill, onions (no need to skewer) and steak can be cooked in a lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately-high heat and tortillas can be toasted over gas (hold with tongs) or possibly directly on top of electric burners. Cut skirt steak into pcs to fit in grill pan and grill in batches without crowding.
Leave a review or comment