Skinny Cornbread Breakfast CasserolePrep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 6by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
I’ve had many requests to create a skinny breakfast casserole, so I’m very excited to share this incredibly delicious, easy to make one! It’s so hearty and includes the fabulous Denver omelette flavors of eggs, ham, bell peppers and cheese all loaded into a cornbread casserole. This casserole serves 6 and each serving has 304 calories, 8 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Cut it into 8 slices and each serving has 6 POINTS PLUS! Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Since it freezes great, you can make it over the weekend and freeze the leftovers to enjoy for a quick weekday breakfast or another weekend meal.
- 1¼ cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ham, chopped, see shopping tip
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
- 2 egg whites (¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tip
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add onions, red bell peppers and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Set in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooled onion mixture, ham, milk, eggs, egg whites, garlic powder and pepper. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter will be a bit bumpy. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread yogurt over the top of the casserole. It won’t cover completely.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over top of yogurt.
- Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very dark golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great!
- Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Leave a review or comment