Simple Savory Tamale PiePrep: 30 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 6by Kyle Dalakas100 recipes>
Simple Savory Tamale Pie is delicious comfort food on a cold winter night! This scrumptious one dish meal is ready in less than an hour and will feed a hungry family of 6!
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Large Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 Cherry Hot Pepper, cleaned and diced (optional)
- 1 14.5 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 6 Oz. Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- For the Corn Muffin Topping:
- 1 1/3 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Corn Meal
- 1/3 Cup Cane Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese for topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Clean and chop onion; clean and dice the hot pepper ( I use cherry hot poppers, but any type of hot pepper will work, depending on your tastes). This ingredient can be omitted.
- Brown the ground beef, onion and pepper in a medium skillet over medium high heat until nicely browned and meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat and add to the beef the tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Mix well and press into a buttered 11″ x 7″ baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare the corn muffin batter:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder. Add the milk, melted butter and egg. Mix well and spoon over the meat mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until topping is cooked through and lightly browned.
- Serves 6
Leave a review or comment