Seasoned Rice and KalePrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 4by Rich H61 recipes>
This is a delicious blend of flavors using various herbs, walnuts, rice and kale. It is rich in texture and taste - filling and satisfying.
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. Smart Balance
- 1 cup of uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. of dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. of dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. of Braggs or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh kale, coarse chopped (yields about 2 1/2 cups)
- Add the vegetable broth, the onion powder, Italian seasoning, parsley and thyme to a large saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Add the rice and the soy sauce and allow to cook for about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the kale has reduced and is a bright green (about another 10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat on the rice to low, add in the chopped walnuts, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the broth is absorbed.
- After the rice is cooked, fluff with a fork and gently toss in the sauteed vegetables. Serve while hot.
Leave a review or comment