Savory Meatloaf with ZucchiniPrep: 20 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 8by Salad Foodie405 recipes>
In planning a birthday dinner for a mutual friend, a fellow-foodie and I devised this juicy meatloaf with prominent herb flavors. We started with 3 different mostly lean ground meats we had on hand (a good quality turkey, deer meat and pork sausage - but you can use any combination you like.) We like the layers of flavor 3 different meats provide. Then we added shredded zucchini to bump up the moisture. After negotiating seasonings and measurements we proudly mixed, shaped, baked and served this to our guests. There's not much we'd change so it's now our meatloaf recipe keeper! P.S. Meatloaf adapts easily to solar cooking ~ takes a little longer but keeps the kitchen cool!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon concentrated paste (beef or chicken to complement selected meats, or substitute equivalent bouillon granules)
- 2 pounds ground lean meat such as turkey and extra lean beef
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 3/4 cup very finely chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place zucchini in strainer, allowing it to drain while preparing other ingrdients.
- Mix Worchestershire sauce and bouillon together in a small dish.
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl place ground meats, onion, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, basil, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Press zucchini lightly in strainer (we wanted some of its juice but not a lot), then add to mixing bowl with Worchestershire sauce/bouillon.
- Knead mixture throughly and shape into desired ring or loaf. Place in greased baking pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 45-60 more minutes until meatloaf is firm, nicely browned and the internal temperature reads 160 degrees (165 degrees if poultry is one of the meats used).
- Serve with desired sauce or condiments, such as plum sauce, ketchup, salsa, chile sauce.
Leave a review or comment