Santa Fe Chicken And White Bean Soup
- 2 1/2 c. great Northern beans soaked overnight in water to cover
- 11 c. lightly salted chicken broth (divided)
- 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dry parsley
- 4 x to 5 tsp. salt (divided)
- 4 tsp grnd cumin
- 2 tsp garlic pwdr
- 1 1/2 tsp onion pwdr
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili pwdr
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Healthy pinch cayenne pepper
- Healthy pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 c. minced onion
- 2 c. minced green bell pepper
- 1 c. minced celery
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic (divided)
- 2 x to 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, minced
- 1 x (7-oz) can diced green chilies
- Shredded havarti cheese, for garnish
- Salsa, for garnish
- Lowfat sour cream, for garnish
- Minced fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Drain the soaked beans. Combine in a large soup pot with 8 c. chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hrs or possibly till tender.
- Combine oregano, parsley, 4 tsp. salt, cumin, garlic pwdr, onion pwdr, paprika, chili pwdr, white and black peppers, cayenne and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and extra virgin olive oil; add in onion, bell pepper, celery,1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic (1 1/2 tsp.) and a third of the reserved seasoning mix. Saute/fry over medium heat about 5 min. Add in another1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic and another third of the seasoning mix; continue sauteing till celery is tender. Add in remaining1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic, remaining seasoning mix and the flour; cook 5 to 7 min longer. Whisk in remaining 3 c. chicken broth, cooking till thickened.
- Add in cooked beans and their broth, chicken and green chilies; heat till chicken is just done, about 5 to 6 min. Serve warm in bowls garnished with havarti cheese, salsa, lowfat sour cream and cilantro.
Leave a review or comment