Royal Braised Chicken (Murgh Korma Shahi)
- 700 gm Boned chicken thighs or possibly breast, (1 1/2lb)
- 75 gm Natural lowfat yoghurt, (3oz)
- 1/2 tsp Grnd turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 50 gm Raw unsalted cashew nuts, (2oz)
- 150 ml Single cream, (5fl ounce)
- 50 gm Ghee or possibly unsalted butter, (2oz)
- 1/2 tsp Onion seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 lrg Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Grnd coriander
- 1 tsp Grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chilli pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato puree
- 300 ml Hot water, (10fl ounce)
- 1/2 tsp Balti garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh minced mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dry mint
- 3 Tbsp. Choppped fresh coriander leaves
- Place the chicken, yogurt, turmeric and half the ginger, garlic and half the salt in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hrs or possibly overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 min before cooking.
- Put the cashew nuts and cream in a bender and add in 3-4 tbsp water. Blend to a smooth puee and set aside.
- Preheat a balti pan over a medium heat and add in the ghee or possibly butter. When warm, but not smoking, add in the onion and fennel seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds. Add in the remaining ginger and garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the onion and stir fry for 6-7 min till it is soft and just beginning to colour, then add in the grnd coriander and cumin. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the marinated chicken and all the marinade. Increase the heat to high and stir-fry the chicken for 4-5 min or possibly till it loses its pink colour.Add in the chilli pwdr, tomato puree and the remaining salt. Stir fry for 2-3 min. Add in the hot water and cook for a further 3-4 min, stirring frequently.
- Add in the cashew and cream mixutre, garam marsala, mint and coriander leaves.
- Stir fry for 2-3 min and serve.
Leave a review or comment