Roasted Witches Fingers with Honey Mustard SaucePrep: 10 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 6by Linda Simon21 recipes>
Trick or treat? Treat for a Halloween dinner party, or family meal! And a treat when you use the non scary version of this recipe throughout the year- oven baked chicken tenders. Do take it easy on yourself. Once the hands are acquired, you can prep the fingers the day before and quickly roast, just before serving. The honey mustard sauce can be made anytime. It keeps in the fridge for weeks. It is good as a salad dressing or on all kinds of cooked veggies too. We used grainy mustard here. You can use any kind, even yellow. That would look way cool on a black plate.
- 1 ¼ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast 600 gm
- 2 tablespoons oil 30 ml
- 1 cup tortilla chip crumbs, see note below 150 gm
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes 10 gm
- 2 teaspoons paprika 4 gm
- ½ teaspoon thyme 1 gm
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper .5 gm
- 15 black olives, sliced in half the long way 15
- ½ cup honey 120 ml
- ½ cup mustard 120 ml
- Butterfly the chicken breasts so you have six portions. âButterflyâ means to slice the breasts horizontally in half. The halves will be thin and open like two pages in a book. Cut each breast through, separating the pages.
- Cut each butterflied breast so they look like hands with fingers. Butterflies, breasts, pages, hands, fingers. Are you still with me? Good thing there is a picture.
- If you are making this on any given weeknight, cut the fingers all the way through. So no scary hands.
- Massage oil onto all the surfaces, including between the fingers.
- Mix tortilla chip crumbs, dried onion flakes, paprika, thyme, and black pepper on a shallow plate.
- Dip fingers in the crumb mixture until all surfaces are covered.
- To make clean up easier, line a sheet pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper. Arrange fingers on top. You can get 3D results of you scrunch foil to balls and drape the fingers over them.
- Add a black olive half for each fingernail, omit for regular chicken fingers.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to roast.
- You need a blazing hot oven to crisp these quickly. So at least a half an hour before cooking, preheat oven to 425. You could even heat to 450. I canât because that makes my smoke detector go off. The oven is clean, the smoke detector just doesnât like the heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, or anytime, stir honey and mustard together. Pour into a small serving bowl.
- Note: you can easily make your own tortilla crumbs. Pulse them in a food processor for just a few minutes. Be sure to buy gluten free tortilla chips. Southern Home-style Corn Flake Crumbs are gluten free, convenient, and tasty. You might be able to buy them at your grocery store. Or you can order online. I have done both, made my own, and used the premade gluten free crumbs. Each works well.
- Serve with Foamy Bug Juice and eerie background music.
- My costume is still undecided. I have been a witch (not good this year), Marge Simpson with big blue hair (not good this year), a giant black spider (bug juice-also not good this year). What are you dressing as this Halloween?
Leave a review or comment