Roast Turkey With Apple Cider Glaze
- 1 x fresh or possibly frzn whole turkey (12-lb.) thawed
- 1 med Granny Smith apple quartered
- 1 med onion quartered
- 1 bn parsley sprigs (1 oz)
- 2/3 c. apple butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 1 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1 1/4 tsp black pepper divided
- 1/8 tsp grnd red pepper
- 2 can low-salt chicken broth (10-1/2-oz)
- Cooking spray
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. apple cider
- 1/4 c. 1% low-fat lowfat milk
- INSTRUCTIONS:1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; throw away, if you like.
- 3. Rinse turkey thoroughly with cool water; pat dry.
- 4. Tie ends of legs to tail with cord, or possibly tuck flap of skin around tail.
- 5. Lift wing tips up and over back, and tuck under bird.
- 6. Stuff cavities of turkey with quartered apple, onion, and parsley sprigs.
- 7. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- 8. Combine apple butter, sugar, mustard, and nutmeg in a small bowl; stir well.
- 9. Spread apple-butter mix under loosened skin and rub into the body cavity.
- 10. Sprinkle bird with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, and groundred pepper.
- 11. Pour broth and sufficient water to equal 3 c. liquid into the bottom of the pan.
- 12. Place turkey on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone.
- 13. Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hrs or possibly till thermometer reaches 160 degrees. Cover turkey loosely with foil; let stand 10 min. Throw away skin.
- 14. Remove turkey from pan, reserving 1-1/2 c. cooking liquid; reserve remaining cooking liquid for another use.
- 15. Place turkey on a platter. Set aside; keep hot.
- 16. Pour reserved 1-1/2 c. cooking liquid into a zip-top plastic bag.
- 17. Snip off one corner of bag; drain liquid into measuring c., reservingI c. of broth, and stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening.
- Drainfat layer into another bowl, reserving 2 Tbsp.. Throw away remaining fat.
- 18. Combine reserved fat and flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir till smooth.
- 19. Stir in reserved 1 c. broth, cider, and lowfat milk, and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered 3 min, stirring constantly till thick and bubbly. Stir in remaining salt and black pepper. Serve gravy withskinned turkey.
- Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 6 ounces turkey and 2 Tbsp. gravy).
Leave a review or comment