Quick Radish Refrigerator PicklePrep: 10 min Cook: 7 min Servings: 24by Denise C.14 recipes>
The perfectly pink ume plum quick pickle. The perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and crispy. Great on their own, or over a salad, on a cheese & meat board, or replacing anything that would be perfect with a pickle.
- 1.5 pounds whole radishes
- 1 1/4 cups good quality apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cups ume plum vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp sea salt (plus some to sweat radishes)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 1 tsp dried ginger root
- optional: 1 tsp peeled and finely sliced turmeric root
- Slice radishes into thin rounds. Place in a colander and toss with a teaspoon or so of sea salt. Let it sit and exude liquid while you do the rest of the prep.
- Heat vinegars, water, honey, sea salt, and dried ginger in a pot on the stove. Bring to a simmer. Add garlic, pickling spice, and the turmeric if you are using it. Remove from heat, let sit a moment.
- By now your radishes have let off a bit of liquid. Rinse well under cold cold water.
- Pack radishes into 2 pint jars.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over the jars. Tap the jars gently or stir a bit with a skewer to remove air bubbles. Add some more liquid if your level drops when you do this. Leave about 1/2" headroom. You are not bath canning, so air bubbles and headroom are not critical. You just want to be sure your radishes will stay covered in the liquid when refrigerated.
- Wipe your rims, and cover tightly with either a plastic canning lid, or create a barrier using wax paper or cling film before screwing on your metal lids (the vinegar will do funky things to your metal so you want a barrier).
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate 24 hours before eating. Eat within about 2 weeks or so, while radish slices are still nice and crisp. They are so good they will not last 2 weeks.
- This makes 2 pints.
- This recipe calls for ume plum vinegar. It comes from umeboshi plums. You can use all apple cider vinegar, but the ume plum vinegar adds such a great flavor and color.
- If you don't have pickling spice you can crush 7 or 8 peppercorns and use that.
Leave a review or comment