Qoq au VinPrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 4by RecipeKing54 recipes>
Qoq au Vin is a quick (45) minute recipe for a delicious, traditional-style French chicken stew. Ingredients include: chicken, mushrooms, carrots, onion, chicken broth, tomato paste and red wine. It is well seasoned and is also a healthy, low calories, low fat, low carbohydrates, low sugars, diabetic-friendly and Weight Watchers (6 PointsPlus) recipe.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 12 oz each), skinned, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- (4 oz) mushrooms, quartered (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, halved, sliced
- 1 tsp crumbled dried rosemary
- 1 (14 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, preferably Zinfandel
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 portions about equal in weight. (Two will be smaller but thicker, the other two larger but thinner.) Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and dredge in the flour. Whisk water with 2 tablespoons of the leftover flour in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add the chicken. Cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan; reduce heat to medium-low. Add mushrooms, carrots, onion and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add broth, wine, tomato paste and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir until the tomato paste is dissolved. Bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pan. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165° F. (15 to 20 minutes). Transfer the chicken to a serving plate.
- Increase the heat under the sauce to medium-high. Stir the water-flour mixture, add it to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with parsley.
Leave a review or comment