PozolePrep: 25 min Cook: 75 min Servings: 10by Rocio Herbert11 recipes>
An authentic Mexican soup, hearty and delicious
- 1 whole chicken, with excess fat removed
- 3 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 3 to 4 qts of water
- 1 lb fresh tomatillos, peeled and quartered
- 6 to 10 fresh Serrano chilies
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 4 lbs canned hominy
- 2 Tbsp chicken boullion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Chopped green cabbage, thinly sliced
- slivered radishes, sliced and quartered
- finely chopped onion
- Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
- Place chicken, garlic and whole onion in pot. Add water to cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, onion and garlic. Discard onion and garlic. Chill broth and lift off excess fat. Pull meat off bones and shred. Discard skin, bones and excess fat.
- Separately, put chilies and tomatillos in a pot with enough water to cover and simmer until mushy. Blend in food processor or blender with: 1 garlic clove and 1/2 bunch cilantro.
- SautÃ© salsa in small amount of oil until it boils. Taste for spicyness before you add to the broth. Add it to the broth with: 2 tsp salt, or more to taste, hominy, chicken boullion and oregano.
- Bring to a boil and add shredded chicken. Adjust salt and serve with condiments: cabbage, radishes, onions, and lemon/lime juice
Leave a review or comment