Potato PacketsPrep: 35 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by Robyn Savoie381 recipes>
This recipe deserves 5 stars! I adapted the original Batali recipe because it called for using a foil pan and I didn't have the space on the grill for it. The individually wrapped potatoes fit in the empty spaces on the grill where you're not cooking something else and you'll have perfect potatoes. They take 45 minutes to cook, so time the rest of the meal accordingly. I Shanghai'd this recipe and the attached Texas-style barbecue chicken from Mario Batali's cookbook "Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style" published in 2006.
- 12 Slices Thick-Cut Bacon, Uncooked
- 2 Medium Onions, Sliced Thin
- 4 Large Baking Potatoes, Scrubbed and Precooked
- 4 Tbs. Butter, No Substitutes
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 3/4 Tsp. Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- On a clean work surface, lay out a sheet of heavy-duty foil, about 10 inches long for each potato. Lightly spray each sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice each potato lengthwise then three times width-wise, do not cut all the way through.
- Place 3 slices of bacon in the center of each piece of foil, making a crisscross pattern.
- Place one prepared potato in the center of the bacon slices, pressing potatoes open slightly.
- Season potato with ground black pepper. Add some onion slices and one tablespoon butter. Repeat with each potato.
- While holding one of the potatoes closed with one hand, wrap the bacon slices around it.
- Fold the long ends of the foil over the top, double the fold to make a seal, and then neatly fold up the sides. Repeat with step 6 and 7 until each potato is wrapped.
- Place each potato packet on the grill over medium-high heat, until the potatoes are cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the foil and serve.
Leave a review or comment