- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb Italian sweet sausage, casings removed if using links
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/4 Cup olive oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms, saving stems.
- Place the mushrooms caps on a baking sheet gill side up, drizzle with olive oil (if using) and cook for 10 minutes in preheated oven.
- Chop mushroom stems.
- In a large skillet saute sausage, peppers, onion and mushroom stems until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Remove mushrooms from oven.
- Spread approximately 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each mushroom cap.
- Sprinkle on approximately 2 tablespoons of cheese on each mushroom cap.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop about a 1/4 cup of sausage & vegetable mixture from skillet for each cap and spread on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle approximately 2-3 tablespoons additional cheese on top of sausage mixture.
- Return mushrooms to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and partially browned.
Leave a review or comment