Pork Pot Roast with Vegetables and ApplesPrep: 20 min Cook: 2 hours Servings: 6by Salad Foodie390 recipes>
Sometimes my experiments actually go right and this one turned out a “bell-ringer.” This pot roast simmers in a Dutch oven on your back burner for a couple of hours and fills the house with divine aromas! Not just for fall or winter, serve it anytime for company or for casual. The gravy is luscious. Don’t be put off by the form of apples I used in the recipe. That evolved from my moment pondering to myself “I wonder what would happen if I...” and it worked beautifully. I served this with a tossed green salad, buttermilk biscuits (see recipe link), and melon for dessert. We’re all still raving about this meal! Just imagine, a meal-in-one that even has the "dessert" in it (well kinda!)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 3.5 pound pork shoulder blade roast (Boston Butt)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon beef gravy base (like Better than Bouillon)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion about 8 ounces cut into wedges
- 1 20-ounce can apple pie filling (I used the No-Sugar-Added type which proved the perfect degree of sweetness for this)
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and additional pepper o taste
- Trim fat from meat as desired. Heat oil in a 4.5 to 6 quart Dutch oven. Brown meat on all sides, draining off excess fat.
- Add water, wine, gravy base, mustard and pepper to pot. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions to Dutch oven, pushing them down well into liquid beside pot roast. Spread apple pie filling over all.
- Simmer covered for 30-45 minutes more until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat, vegetables and apples to serving dish, reserving juices in pot; keep warm.
- Measure juices, skimming fat if needed. Add enough water to juices to measure 1 1/2 cups; return top pot. Combine flour with 1/3 cup cold water thoroughly and stir into juices. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute more. Taste and season with salt and additional pepper as needed.
- YIELD: Serves 6 generously
Leave a review or comment