Pork Curry with PotatoesPrep: 30 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 6by kitchen flavours25 recipes>
Do you have one of those days that when you buy a certain ingredient with something in mind, and totally use it for something else at the spur of the moment? It always happens to me. This is one of those times. I bought a piece of pork belly for a Chinese dish from the morning market. That very same afternoon, the urge for curry and potatoes with steaming hot white rice is just too strong to resist! So that's how that piece of pork belly which was intended for a Chinese stew dish ended up in a curry dish! This is a simple curry dish that I have always cooked in my home. It is tasty and really good eaten with plain white rice. The gravy is slightly thick, if you like a thinner gravy, just add a little more water. I love lots of potatoes in the curry, when the taste of the curry goes into the potatoes after the braising, they are really yummy!
- Pork Curry with Potatoes
- 600gm pork belly (cut to bite-sized cubes)
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and cut to cubes)
- To marinate pork :
- 5 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 pc 3" cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamon pods
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- salt to taste
- some water
- Marinate pork with curry powder, tumeric powder, chili powder, curry leaves, salt and water, mix until pork is coated with spices, keep covered and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil. Saute ginger garlic paste over low heat until fragrant. Add in cinnamon stick, cardamon pods, star anise and cloves, stir until fragrant.
- Add in marinated pork and stir for about 5 minutes, constantly stirring over medium heat, add some oil if appears dry.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, onions and salt, stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup water, stir to combine, cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Curry may dry out, add about 1/4 cup warm water each time it appears dry.
- Simmer until pork is tender, taste and add salt if necessary.
- Add in potatoes, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally and add a little water each time it appears dry.
- Simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Dish out and enjoy!
Leave a review or comment