Pinto Bean And Ham Hock Soup
- 1 lb pinto beans, soaked, overnight
- 5 lt water
- 2 lrg smoked ham, hocks
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 x onion, diced
- 2 x carrot, diced
- 4 x cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grnd coriander seeds
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil over a medium heat. Add in the diced onion and carrots and cook till tender, about 8 min. Add in the garlic and coriander seed and cook till fragrant, another 3 min.
- Add in the water, beans and ham hocks to the aromatic vegetables. Bring the pan to a simmer over a low heat for 2 hrs, till the beans are tender and the meat is falling off the hock.
- Remove the hock. While the hocks are cooling, puree the soup in a food processor - but not too fine - keep it coarse. Peel the skin off the hocks and throw away it. Dice the meat and add in it back to the soup.
- Simmer the soup for 10 min over a low heat and adjust the seasoning.
Leave a review or comment