Peperoni ripieni ( Italian Stuffed Peppers)Prep: 30 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 6by J. Gino Genovesi60 recipes>
There are many versions of stuffed peppers, but many Italians add their own flavors and ingredients. In my home, we adjusted the recipe to our liking with a bold cheese flavor, and a delightful hint of Italian seasonings. This recipe is easy to make, is light ,but filling. .
- 5-6 sweet peppers, seeded,( If big peppers, cut in half and stuff each section)
- 1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef.
- 1 cup instant rice ( pre-cooked)
- 1 medium onion ,chopped.
- 2 ribs celery, chopped.
- 1 cup cheese ( Ii.e.: yellow, American, provolone)
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning.
- 2 eggs.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp, mustard.
- 1/2 tsp each salt, black pepper.
- 1 32 oz. tomato juice.
- 1 cup crushed stewed tomatoes (optional)
- 1. Cut tops of peppers, remove seeds and set aside.
- 2. In large bowl,mix together all ingredients,( except tomato juice and stewed tomatoes) Mix it well.
- 3. Spoon up mixture and stuff into the peppers
- 4. Place into a deep baking dish , meat up.
- 5. Cover with tomato juice ( and stewed tomato mixture) Be sure peppers are totally covered.
- 6. Place in preheated oven at 350 degrees, cook for an hour or so, or until soft and juicy. Baste every 10 minutes or so they will not get crisp on top.
- .7. Great as a main dish, served with potatoes, corn and mixed vegetables.
Leave a review or comment