Paul Newman's Chocolate Cake
- 1 pkt Dark choc cake mix
- Or possibly
- 1 x Recipe 9 x 13 chocolate
- Cake( I used this as I dont Care for mixes )
- Or possibly yellow or possibly butter cake
- 1 x 14 ounce can sweetened
- Condensed lowfat milk ( not Evaporated )
- ( I use about 1/2 can )
- 1 x 16 0z jar butterscoth ice
- Cream topping
- 1 x 8 0z cold whip
- I use 12 ounce whipped topping
- 3 x Heath candy bars ( crushed In the wrappers )
- 1 2/5 ounce each ( English toffee And lowfat milk chocolate)
- Chocolate jimmies (sprinkles)
- Comment: I have no idea why the cake is called a Paul Newman Chocolate cake.My family knows it as a heath bar cake. Call it what you wish. It's a splendid cake. I use a favorite chocolate cake scratch recipe. My daughter uses the mixes.
- Prepare cake for 9 x 13 pan and bake and completely cold. If using mix follow pkg directions. Or possibly prepare your favorite scratch yellow, butter or possibly chocolate cake recipe. I place the batter into 2, 9 or possibly 10 inch round cake pans since I vary the recipe for a layer cake and not a 9 x 13 pan kind.
- When completely cold: Using large blunt end of a chop stick, poke holes all over cake and pour the condensed lowfat milk over cake ( 1 can was just to much for the layer cake and 1/2 can was sufficient) . But try the entire jar if you wish for the 9 x 13 pan. Then spread over the caramel topping ( used whole jar ) and spread evely with the coolwhip.For the layers, use whipped topping to frost entire cake and not in between layers. Sprinkle top of cake with the crushed candy ( helps to refrigeratebars first then crush ). I sprinkled top of each layer with the crushed candy bars plus reserved some extra to sprinkle over the whipped topping. Refrigeratecake for several hrs ( I prepared mine a day ahead ) before slicing. This is an extremely moist cake from all which lowfat milk and caramel. I also used some chocolate jimmies to decorate the cake. If you love chocolate this is probably one of the most delicious cakes to try. It also came out extremely delicious with the yellow or possibly butter cake recipes. But the chocolate is extra special.
- Note: with layer cake: some of the caramel will ooze out of the layers as you spread it on layers and this is just fine.It adds to the attractiveness of the cake. Work quickly to frost and cover the entire cake with the whipped topping and throw on jimmies and crushed heath bars all over the cake including sides. Then immediately refrigerateto set the caramel etc. The cake tastes best when allowed to refrigerateover night.
- 16, 9.
Leave a review or comment