Orange CrepesPrep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 6by B Innes83 recipes>
Crepes with an Orange filling and a delicious Orange Sauce
- Orange Filling
- 8oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs zest of orange
- ¼ cup Orange juice no pulp
- ½ the zested orange slices coarsely chopped (optional)
- Orange Sauce
- 4 Tbs butter melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Orange juice no pulp
- 1 Tbs zest of Orange
- 3 eggs yolks
- Crepe batter
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2-3 Tbs Confectioners sugar for dusting
- 1 Tbs Orange Zest
- Place all the ingredients into the bowl of a mixer and whisk until smooth and completely incorporated. Once smooth place into a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a sauce pan place the butter, sugar, ½cup of the sugar, the OJ and the zest and slowly bring up to almost a boil stirring constantly until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- In a separate bowl take the remaining sugar and the egg yolks and whisk until fully combined.
- Once the sauce comes up to heat and the sugar is fully dissolved, slowly add about 4 oz to the egg yolks in a slow stream while whisking continuously ( this technique is called tempering the eggs and will prevent them from scrambling when put into the hot liquid). Once combined add the egg mixture back to the sauce pot and slowly bring up to a boil to thicken while stirring constantly.
- Once thickened pour through a strainer into a clean bowl set in an ice bath and stir to cool the mixture. When cooled pour into a pitcher and store in the refrigerator covered until ready to serve.
- In a bowl combine the eggs,flour, milk,salt and sugar into a bowl and whisk until smooth with no lumps visible.
- Once smooth add the water and oil, and zest and whisk until you have a smooth thin batter.
- Using a crêpe pan or small fry pan, lightly butter the pan and pour a small amount of batter into the pan and swirl to create a thin round crêpe. Cook for 30-60 seconds until the bottom is lightly browned and small bubbles appear around the edge of the crêpe. Flip and cook an additional 20 seconds then flip onto a plate so that the better looking browned side is down.
- Serve right away or you can hold the crepes for a while in a 180° oven covered with a damp towel, or you can layer between parchment or wax paper and place in an air tight bag and refrigerate or freeze.
- Place a crêpe darker side down and spoon enough filling to cover ½ the crêpe. Fold over the crêpe then fold in half a second time so that you end up with a pie slice shaped crêpe. Arrange one or two on a plate, garnish with a wedge of the orange from the zest, pour some of the sauce over the top, then sprinkle lightly with the powdered sugar.
Leave a review or comment