Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie (no corn syrup)Prep: 60 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 8by Foodiewife397 recipes>
I've always been lukewarm about Pecan Pie, and if I did indulge, I'd eat a tiny sliver. The filling always seemed so cloyingly sweet that I wasn't a fan-- until now! I made this recipe using maple syrup. The filling set perfectly and was absolutely delicious. It was the perfect balance of sweet, and just the right ratio of pecan. I make an all-butter (Pate Brisee) shortbread crust. This pie was gone in no time at all! Recipe from Cook's Country, Oct/Nov 2009.
- For the Patee Brisee (all-butter) pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- For the pie filling:
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (see note), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes
- NOTE: Regular or mild molasses tastes best in this pie.
- For the pie crust:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.
- With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disc and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.
- Make Filling:
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.
- Bake Pie:
- Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over.
- Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
Leave a review or comment