this recipe is great as cold cuts, but i took it a step further by melting on some sharp cheddar cheese and then adding sliced cucumber and drizzling with olive oil, finishing with lots of fresh cracked pepper on hearty
Old Country Pickled Chicken RollPrep: 3 1/2 hours Cook: 35 min Servings: 8by Smokinhotchef313 recipes>
This recipe is a slight adaptation from a recipe I saw in Saveur magazine issue number 137. I immediately fell in love with the rustic hand on approach to procuring a deli meat of sorts by self asembly and a little 'elbow grease'. I deviated from the recipe by simmering the chicken roll in a tumeric and onion combination with a hint of red pepper flakes to infuse the skin with addition flavor qualities. I also added dry mustard to the chicken to soften the edges and offer a little 'twang' for dexterity. The chicken I used was a bit off weight wise from the original recipe so I simply added a boneless skinless chicken breast to the mix and secured the roll using cheesecloth. The roll turned out amazing and my family wants me to prepare another one soon. Thank You Gabriella Gershenson for sharing your grandfather's wonderful work of art. I'm now thinking of what other combinations I can create and share, the way you did with the world!
- 1 3lb chicken, whole
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4 inch strips vertically
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 4 allspice berries, crushed finely
- 3 bay leaves, dried and crushed finely
- 2 tsp. tumeric
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for serving
- Remove chicken skin in one piece, being careful not to tear it (as best you can). Place in plastic ziplock or bowl and set aside.
- De-bone chicken and slicing breast and thigh-meat vertically.
- Place chicken meat and sliced chicken breast in a bowl and add parsley, garlic, allspice, bay leaves and mustard. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. Fold ingredients together with rubber spatula. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours.
- Place chicken on cutting board, outward skin down Assemble meat light and dark alike over long sides with a border of about 2 inches if possible.
- Beginning at the short side, fashion the chicken into a tight roll and secure with lengths of cheesecloth every 1 inch or so. Tuck the skin at the ends of the roll under or fold in on itself.
- Using a large swatch of cheesecloth, place the chicken roll at one end and roll into cylinder tightly to help with shape retention. Use about 5 inch lengths of cloth to secure the ends of the roll.
- In a large saucepot, bring salted water up to a boil with tumeric and onion over medium high heat. Submerge chicken roll and cook until internal temperature reaches 165* F. Be sure to insert thermometer reaches center of roll, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from liquid and cool. Remove
- binds and cheesecloth. Store overnight in fridge wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Must set before slicing.
Leave a review or comment