Oatmeal Chocolate Chip BarsPrep: 20 min Cook: 28 min Servings: 18by Salad Foodie394 recipes>
An oatmeal streusel mixture serves as both crust and topping in this delightfully chewy cookie bar. The secret ingredient in the filling is purchased caramel topping. These bars are very sweet so cutting them in smaller portion sizes is appropriate. It just extends the sublime enjoyment of the treats - unless you just keep snitching away! NOTE: To double recipe, use a 13" x 9" baking dish or pan and increase baking time 2 minutes. .
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8" x 8" square baking dish or pan. (If using a glass dish or dark metal pan reduce oven temperature by 10-15 degrees.)
- Beat flour, sugar, butter, baking soda and salt in medium bowl until crumbly. Beat in oats and combine well. Divide mixture in half (about 8 ounces or a scant 2 cups for each half) and press lightly into bottom of prepared baking dish. Set the other half aside for topping.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle crust evenly with chocolate chips and nuts. Blend caramel topping with 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and drizzle over morsels and nuts. Sprinkle remaining streusel mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool completely on rack to set the filling before cutting. Yield: 18 bars.
Leave a review or comment