No Fat/No Sweat Lasagna With Spinach And Lentils
- 15 ounce Non-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 pkt (10 ounce) minced spinach, frzn, thawed and liquid removed see note
- 1/2 c. Egg substitute, (or possibly egg whites to equal)
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 c. Fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes - see note
- 3 1/2 c. Quick Tomato Sauce, (see recipe below)
- 9 x Lasagna noodles, uncooked - see note
- 1/4 c. Red lentils, uncooked
- 1 1/2 c. Nonfat mozzarella cheese, shredded, (6 ounces)
- Note - I added 1/2 c. minced broccoli and 1 diced carrot.
- note - recipe called for 1/4 tsp nutmeg, that I omitted - personal taste.
- I added 1 TB each dry basil and oregano.
- note - I usedwhole wheat or possibly spinach lasagna noodles.
- In large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, broccoli, egg substitute, 2 Tbsp. of the parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper flakes. Mix well till thoroughly blended.
- Pour 1 c. of tomato sauce into an 11" X 7" X 2" glass baking dish. (If you won't be microwaving this, you can use a metal pan, if you like.) Spread sauce proportionately to cover bottom of dish. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer on top of the sauce. Spoon one-third of the spinach and ricotta cheese mix over the noodles; spread to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. of the lentils over the top, 1/2 c. of the mozzarella cheese, and the remaining Parmesan. Pour 1 1/2 c. of the tomato sauce over the cheeses. Arrange another layer of noodles on top.
- Repeat the layering, using the remaining ingredients (note which the top layer is spinach and ricotta mix and mozzarella cheese only.) Cover tightly with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on medium-high for 18-20 min, or possibly till noodles are just tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife and sauce is bubbly. Rotate twice during cooking. Let stand, covered, 15 min before serving.
- (Conventional cooking method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Assemble lasagna as directed above. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour; remove aluminuim foil and bake 10 min longer. Let stand 10 min before cutting. - note: This is what I did. I also made it ahead and let it sit overnight before baking.)
- Pyramid equivalent using original recipe: 1 1/2 breads, 1 1/2 vegetables, 1 1/4 lowfat milk, 1/4 oz meat alternative
- sauce below) Chol 8mg
Leave a review or comment