Mushroom Stuffed Salmon Loaf
- 15 1/2 ounce Salmon, canned, debone & flake
- 2 c. Bread crumbs, fresh
- 2 lrg Large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Onion, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Fresh grnd black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 c. Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, or possibly margarine
- 1 c. Fresh spinach *see note, shredded & packed
- Reserved salmon liquid
- Lowfat milk
- 1 Tbsp. Butter, or possibly margarine
- 1 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 pch Grnd white pepper
- 1 x Egg yolk, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- SALMON LOAF: Drain the salmon, reserving liquid for Lemon Sauce: debone salmon, flake salmon into a medium bowl. Add in bread crumbs, Large eggs lemon juice, onion, salt & pepper; mix well. Saute/fry' mushrooms in butter in a medium skillet over medium heat for 2 min. Add in spinach; saute/fry' till wilted, about 2 min. Pat 1/2 of the salmon mix into a greased 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 3/4 inch loaf pan. Top with mushroom mix in an even layer leaving a 1 inch border on all sides. Top with remaining salmon mix; spread top smooth & pat down. Bake in a preheated 350F. degree oven till center is set & top is golden brown, about 45 min. Let stand 5 min before slicing. Serve with Lemon Sauce. Garnish with lemon slices & parsley.
- LEMON SAUCE: Measure reserved salmon liquid; add in sufficient lowfat milk to make 2/3 c.. Heat butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat; stir in flour, salt & pepper till smooth. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk in the lowfat milk mix; cook & stir till sauce thickens & bubbles for 1 minute. Gradually whisk 1/4 c. of the warm sauce into egg yolk in a small bowl. Gradually whisk the egg yolk mix into remaining sauce in pan. Cook stirring constantly, over low heat till thickened, about 1 minute; don't boil.
- Stir in lemon juice & serve over Mushroom Stuffed Salmon Loaf.
- NOTES :*This is my favorite way to use canned salmon. I sometimes replace the spinach with shredded cheese(1 c.). Monterey Jack, Gouda, Swiss & Smoked Baby Swiss cheeses are all excellant in this dish. If using cheese do not saute/fry' it with the mushrooms; put it on top of the mushrooms when forming the loaf. Chris
Leave a review or comment