Mother's Crab Cakes
- 1 lb lump crab meat fresh or possibly canned
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - (to 3 tbspns)
- 2 Tbsp. finely-minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely-minced green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely-minced parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 x bay leaf
- Salt (optional), to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Old Bay Crab Cake Classic Seasoning Mix see * Note
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- * Note: It is important to knead the crab mix well to make it hold together. Although hard to find, Old Bay Crab Cake Classic Mix is essential to this recipe for its bread crumbs and egg solids. Don't confuse it with regular Old Bay Seasoning.
- Drain, and remove cartilage from crab meat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, add in onion and saute/fry over medium heat till translucent/soft, about 3 min. Add in bell pepper and saute/fry 3 min. Add in crab meat, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and salt to taste and saute/fry 5 min, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and set aside. Throw away bay leaf.
- Mix crab cake seasoning and mayonnaise in small bowl. Place crab mix in large bowl, add in mayonnaise mix and mash and knead with hands till mix holds together when formed into cakes. Shape into 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch cakes, about 2 dozen.
- Saute/fry in 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat till crab cakes are golden on each side, about 4 min per side. Add in more oil if needed for subsequent batches. Place cakes on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- This recipe yields about 2 dozen mini crab cakes.
Leave a review or comment