Moroccan Vegetable TaginePrep: 1.5 hours Servings: 4by mamatkamal3 recipes>
Usually, in Morocco the term Tagine means the combination of meat or fish with vegetables but this one is for vegetarians who want to try something different, and even meat-eaters will love this flavour-packed vegetable Tagine. Try it and feel free to add or suggest improvements or variations! If you don't have a tagine, you can use any heavy casserole with a lid, or any heavy-bottomed shallow lidded pan or pot. Remember to cook it on very low heat!
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Pinch pure saffron or safran threads (Since heat releases saffron's flavor essence and so to extract the best flavour out of it, always warm it gently in the frying pan (with no oil) for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then still warm, crush it to a powder either with your hands or with the mortar and pestle)
- Pinch of ground turmeric or curcuma
- 6 tablespoon argan oil or olive oil
- 2 soupspoonful green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet red paprika
- About 150 gr fresh or frozen peas
- 2 medium carrots, cut into sticks
- 2 hot peppers for spicy food lovers
- 1/4 preserved lemon. The pulp, finely chopped and to be used with the sauce. Keep the rind to add at the end.
- 3 fresh cherry tomatoes or more
- 100 ml hot water
- Use a stovetop to cook this tagine on a very low heat. Pour oil and salt into tagine and when heated, saute onions and garlic until slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes (chopped ones, not the cherry tomatoes), parsley, coriander, the pulp of the preserved lemon and all spices then stir. Cover and allow to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add carrots and water. Cover and allow to cook for about 30 to 45 minutes. N.B. If frozen peas are used and which take less time to cook, just follow this recipe. However if fresh peas are used, add them with the carrots.
- Add frozen peas, olives, cherry tomatoes and hot peppers then sprinkle liberally with some black pepper and salt and place the rind of the preserved lemon on top of the vegetables. Add little bit of water but only if necessary.
- Cover and let cook for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed and sprinkle with finely chopped fresh parsley and coriander.
- Serve your tagine with bread, or rice, or couscous, or pasta etc....
- Enjoy ! Bssa7a w ra7a!
Leave a review or comment