Moroccan Merquez Sausages With Orange Olive Salad
- 1 3/4 lb lamb meat trimmed of most fat
- 1/2 lb lamb fat
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grnd anise
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp grnd coriander
- 2 tsp grnd sumac (optional)
- (available from specialty spice shops)
- 2 3/4 Tbsp. Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 x garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 6 x feet sheep casing well rinsed
- (if making sausage links)
- 4 x oranges segmented, and
- cut into large dice
- 6 ounce oil-cured black olives roughly minced
- Several pinches cumin
- Several pinches cayenne
- Sprinkle rose water
- Grind cool lamb meat and fat finely using a meat grinder or possibly food processor. Mix well with remaining ingredients and stuff into sheep casings using a sausage stuffer.
- Link the sausages by spinning every other one till the sausages fill the casings firmly. The size of the links should be about 8 to 10 inches. (If you don't want to make links, you can also make small patties.) Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 1 day.
- Grill over moderate heat till just cooked through. Serve warm with Orange Olive Salad.
- For the Orange Olive Salad: Combine all the ingredients and let marinate at room temperature for several hrs before serving.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings (10 links or possibly 12 patties).
Leave a review or comment