Moroccan Brisket With Olives, Tomatoes, Onions And Preserved Lemons
- 5 x - to 6-lb. beef brisket
- 5 x garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly grnd pepper to taste
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 lrg onions, diced (about 8 c.)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp grnd ginger
- 1/2 tsp grnd white pepper
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 x celery stalk
- 3 lrg tomatoes
- 1 c. water
- 1 1/2 c. green Moroccan olives, pitted
- 2 x -3 preserved lemons, diced
- 1/4 c. coarsely minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 c. coarsely minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a knife, pierce the skin of the brisket in 5 places and insert garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a heavy skillet or possibly roasting pan; add in meat, sear on all sides, and remove.
- Add in 2 more Tbsp. oil to the same pan and saute/fry 3/4 of the onions (about 6 c.) till they are limp. Add in turmeric, ginger, white pepper, bay leaves, celery, 1/3 of diced tomatoes, and water to pan. Stir-fry 1-2 min; then let cold.
- Place brisket in baking pan and surround with cooked vegetables. Roast, covered, in the oven for 3 hrs or possibly till a fork goes in and out of the meat easily. Remove, cold, and chill, reserving vegetables. You can prepare this a day ahead of time.
- The tomato-onion sauce can be done a day in advance as well: Heat remaining Tbsp. of oil in frying pan; add in remaining onions and saute/fry till onions are translucent/soft. Then add in remaining diced tomatoes and simmer, covered, for a few min. Set aside or possibly chill overnight or possibly till ready to serve meat.
- When ready to serve, remove any fat which accumulated on brisket as it cooled.
- Cut against the grain, into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Return slices to baking pan, along with reserved vegetables in that meat was cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and reheat brisket, covered, for about 30 min.
- Add in to the tomato-onion mix, olives, preserved lemons, and 2 Tbsp. each of the parsley and cilantro, and heat in a small saucepan. Remove brisket and some, or possibly all, of the vegetables to a serving platter and serve, covered with the tomato-onion sauce and garnished with the remaining parsley and cilantro.
Leave a review or comment