Mom's Pickled Beet and Egg SaladPrep: 10 min Servings: 1by Salad Foodie396 recipes>
I've fond memories of my mother's salads but have few written recipes of hers. Relying on memory alone for ingredients and flavors, I've come fairly close to her pickled beet salad. Three ingredients - this recipe is way easy! Of course I might add and/or embellish with all kinds of ingredients and garnishes we use today, but for the first try at making it I wanted to remain true to my childhood memories. Use commercially canned pickled beets or make your own (under "Useful Links" below, see recipe for homemade Pickled Beets, with a sugar-free and salt-free option.) The recipe below makes a main dish luncheon salad for one person.
- 1 cup pickled beets (drain and dice before measuring. Reserve some of beet juice)
- 1 hard cooked egg, shelled and diced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (or plain Greek Yogurt)
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- In small mixing bowl, blend mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons of reserved beet juice to make dressing. Add beets and egg, tossing just to coat. Arrange on individual lettuce-lined luncheon plate. (If desired garnish with Feta or Parmesan cheese, chives, basil, etc.)
Leave a review or comment