Mini Crab Cakes With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 x large egg
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise - (60ml)
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard - (20ml)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (15ml)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (5ml)
- 1 lb crab meat - (500grams) - clean and patted dry
- 1 c. fresh white breadcrumbs - (250ml)
- 1/4 c. finely minced green onions- (60ml)
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel- (5ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt - (2.5ml)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper - (1.25ml)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter - (22.5ml)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil - (22.5ml)
- 15 x pumpernickel bread slices, toasted
- Red Pepper Sauce
- 4 x roasted red bell peppers, minced
- 1 c. mayonnaise - (250ml)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, minced - (30ml)
- 2 x large cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard - (5ml)
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice - (2.5ml)
- 1/2 tsp tobasco sauce - (2.5ml)
- Slice pumpernickel bread into small squares of rounds and toast.
- Combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and egg in a bowl. Grate in lemon rind and squeeze in lemon juice. Add in crab, breadcrumbs, green onion, salt and white pepper, mix ingredients well.
- Form the mix into little crab cakes approximately 2 inches in diameter and place them on a wax paper lined baking sheet. When you have used up all of your crab cake mix, place your cakes in the fridge to set for 1 hour.
- Add in both butter and oil to a large non-stick skillet. Gently slide a few of the cakes from the baking sheet into the oil. Pan has to be very warm to get the crispy exterior on the cakes and you don't want to overcrowd the skillet; it will cause the cakes to steam more than fry.
- Place one crab cake on top of each toasted pumpernickel slice and top with a small dollop of the sauce. Top with another crab cake and more sauce.
- Red Pepper Sauce:For the sauce, add in roasted peppers, mayonnaise, fresh tarragon, garlic, Dijon, Lemon juice and Tabasco, to a blender. Mix till smooth.
Leave a review or comment