Mini Carrot Cake Cupcakes
This is a revised version of the Joy of Baking Carrot Cupcake Recipe. I omitted the chopped walnuts & added raisins instead to reduce the fat of the cupcake part. I omitted butter & powdered sugar from cream cheese frosting & added honey instead to reduce fat & sugar. It's important to use freshly grated carrots to keep them moist. I like to cook them in mini muffin tins because it requires less cooking time than standard muffins. I think the trick to carrot cake is preventing it from getting dry. These cupcakes come out really moist and are reduced fat & sugar. This recipe also doesn't require using a mixmaster.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (if using sweetened reduce sugar)
- 1 1/3 cups finely grated raw carrots (about 3 medium size carrots)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 c whipped cream cheese
- 2 TBS honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt & ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs until lightly beaten.
- Whisk in sugar, oil & vanilla until lightly thickened.
- Fold in applesauce, carrots & raisins.
- Fold this mixture into flour mixture and mix until completely blended.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Whip together whipped cream cheese & honey for frosting
- Cool before frosting.
Leave a review or comment