Mini Caprese BitesPrep: 20 min Servings: 12by Sharon McAndrews Burkey29 recipes>
Here's one of my favorite appetizers! It's a low carb and healthy option. My challenge, finding the right size skewers! I found really long skewers, thought they could be cut in half, but it doesn't skewer through the tomatoes nicely, and breaks the mozzarella cheese balls.Ugh! Note:to self to stock up on skewers. So I decided to leave the length. Instead of serving individually, which I did previously in non stem wine glasses. I needed to serve it buffet style. So, hunting around the house for serving dishes. I ended up serving in 3 glass cylinders and turned out to be a nice presentation. Love it when impromptu creative ideas come to mind! Enjoy! Sharon Grape tomatoes vary in size from week to week at the grocery store; some pints we found had only 24 while others had more than 40. Good news, you should still have enough mozzarella balls because they are generally sold in 8-oz. containers that have more than enough.
- 1pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 10 to 14 fresh small mozzarella cheese balls, cut into thirds*
- 32 (4-inch) wooden skewers**
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Thread 1 tomato half, 1 piece of cheese, and another tomato half onto each skewer. Place skewers in a shallow serving dish.
- 2. Whisk together oil and next 3 ingredients. Drizzle oil mixture over skewers; sprinkle with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- *1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, may be substituted.
- **Wooden picks may be substituted.
- Southern Living, MAY 2008
Leave a review or comment