Middle Eastern Grilled Chicken Pita Sandwiches With Yogurt
- 1 c. plain yogurt
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 x garlic clove chopped and mashed to a paste with a healthy pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme crumbled
- 8 x skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 c. plain yogurt
- 1 x garlic clove chopped and mashed to a paste with 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice or possibly to taste
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tsp finely minced fresh mint leaves or possibly to taste
- 1 sm red onion sliced thin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x tomato chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds toasted lightly
- 6 whl -wheat pita loaves
- Make the marinade:In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, the lemon juice, the garlic paste, the thyme, and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the chicken, pricked in several places with a fork, in one layer in a large shallow dish, pour the marinade over it, and let the chicken marinate, covered and chilled, turning it once, for at least 3 hrs or possibly, preferably overnight
- Make the sauce:In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, the garlic paste, the lemon juice, the parsley, the mint, and salt and pepper to taste.
- On an oiled grill set about 6 inches over glowing coals or possibly in an oiled ridged grill pan set over moderately high eat grill the chicken (throw away the marinade) turning it, for 12 to 15 min on each side, or possibly till it is cooked through. While the chicken is cooking, in a skillet cook the onion in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, till it is softened and lightly golden brown. Remove the skillet from the heat, add in the tomato and the sesame seeds, and season the mix with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut it diagonally into thin slices. Cut off a small piece of each pita loaf to create an opening and heat the pita loaves on the grill, turning them once, for several seconds, or possibly till they
- are just softened. Divide the chicken, the onion mix, and the sauce among the pita loaves.
- Serves 6.
Leave a review or comment