Microwave Chicken Tamale Pie
- 3 x chicken legs with thighs attached
- 2 sm onions, unpeeled
- 1 x red bell pepper, whole
- 1 x (4 ounce.) can minced green chilies
- 1 x (10 ounce.) pkg. frzn corn, thawed
- 1 x (16 ounce.) can whole tomatoes
- 1 x (10 3/4 ounce.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 c. minced cilantro (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 tsp each grnd cumin, and dry oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 x (2 1/4 ounce.) can sliced ripe olives, liquid removed Cornmeal Crust (see previous recipe)
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Put in a 9 x 13 inch micro-safe baking dish with whole onions and bell pepper. Cover with waxed paper.
- Microwave at High power for 10 to 12 min till chicken is tender sufficient to pull away from bones. Let cold in pan. When cold, pull off chicken skin, then pull meat off bones in large pcs. Return meat to baking dish. Peel onions and cut in wedges. Add in to chicken. Pull out stem and peel skin off pepper. Tear pepper into thin shreds and add in to chicken with green chilies and corn. In a small bowl, drain liquid from tomatoes. Add in tomatoes to chicken and cut in half with a spoon. To liquid, add in soup, cilantro, if used, chili pwdr, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir, then pour over chicken. Stir gently to mix. Spread mix into an even layer and sprinkle with olives. Spread cornmeal mix proportionately over all. Microwave at Medium-High power for 20 min, rotating dish several times for even cooking. Crust should look dry on top.
- Cook 2 to 3 min more, if necessary. Let stand 10 min before serving.
- Microwave setting: High 100%; Medium High 70%.
- Cooking Time: 30 min.
Leave a review or comment