Mercedes' green tomatoes cakePrep: 20 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 10by Micheline119 recipes>
This is a great cake recipe to make at the end of summer when green tomatoes are plentiful. This is one of the most delicious cake I have ever eaten.
- 4 cups green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sultana raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a large bowl and add 1 tbsp of salt. Let the tomatoes rest for 10 minutes. Put the tomatoes in a strainer and rinse with cold water and drain all the liquid. Reserve the tomatoes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a cake pan (9 X 13).
- Mix the sugar with the butter until creamy. Add the eggs and mix well with an electric mixer. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl. Add the raisins or cranberries. Mix well and add a little bit at a time to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add the drained tomatoes and mix well. The batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear when inserted in the middle of the cake.
Leave a review or comment