Memorial Day Small GatheringPrep: 30 min Cook: 55 min Servings: 8by Rosemarie16 recipes>
A Memorial Day Feast for a small group.
- All American Steak Burgers
- Ingredients – Fresh “Ground” Burgers:
- 4 lbs Skirt Steak or Flap Meat, well marbled
- 4 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Ingredients – Burger Grilled “Extras”:
- 8 Thick slices of Red Onion
- 2 Avocado, sliced into fourths (Optional)
- 8 Thin Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 8 Kaiser rolls or other hearty buns
- Olive oil
- Ingredients – Burger Toppings:
- 8 Thin Slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- 8 Green Leaf Lettuce
- 8 Slices Beef Steak Tomatoes
- Dill Pickles
- Grilled Smoked Sausages with Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Packages Hillshire Farms Smoked Beef Sausage
- 1 Cup Barbecue Sauce, any flavor
- Garlic Wedge Potatoes
- 4-6 Large Baking Potatoes (Russet are best)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil for drizzling
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 or 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream, if desired
- TO MAKE GOURMET BURGER: Cut meat into manageable “chunks”. Using a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, add half of the flap meat, rapidly pulse until the consistency of ground beef, 1-2 minutes. Remove meat to a bowl and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. DO NOT MIX.
- Repeat with remaining flap meat, place in processor bowl on top of seasonings.
- Use hands to mix seasonings in well into the meat. Form meat into a large ball, then quarter the ball for even distribution. Form each quarter into a hamburger patty. If meat is cold, let it come to room temperature before grilling. Cook as you would any fresh hamburger, turning once.
- DO AHEAD: Prepare a platter with lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes and small ramekins or bowls with mustard, mayonnaise and/or Ketchup.
- Prepare grill for hamburgers. Brush grill with a little olive oil to prevent burgers from sticking.
- While grill is heating, thread 1 slice of onion each bamboo skewer (looks like a lollipop), and brush with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- TO GRILL THE STEAK BURGERS: Place onions on grill along side burgers, turned as necessary to prevent onion from burning. Brush avocado wedges with olive oil to prevent sticking. Place avocado slices on the warming rack of grill, turn as needed to prevent burning.
- When burgers are cooked through, transfer to a platter, top with cheese (if desired) and tent loosely. Allow to rest 5 minutes to retain juices. Remove onions and avocados, CAREFULLY remove from skewers then set on platter with other condiments.
- Brush buns lightly with olive oil. Grill buns, cut side down, until golden, 2-3 minutes. Plate buns & call everyone to build their burgers.
- Heat small gas grill for direct cooking. Split sausages in half width-wise to create 2 halves. Split again lengthwise to open sausage. You will now have 8 “J” shaped sausages.
- To Make Smoked Sausage: When grill is ready, place sausage haves on grill skin side up until nicely cooked. Turn, brush with barbecue sauce and continue to grill until heated through.
- Serve with additional barbecue sausage if desired.
- To Make Potatoes: Heat oven to 425-degrees. Scrub, dry and cut potatoes into “wedge” style potatoes (6-8 wedges per potato, depending on size).
- Line a baking sheet with foil. (A second baking sheet may be necessary to keep potatoes in a single layer). Arrange the potato wedges on baking sheet and toss to coat lightly in olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper and roast for 40-45 minutes, until deeply golden and crisp, turning once half way through. (Depending upon how thick the cut, another 10 minutes might be necessary. You want the outside golden like a French Fry, the inside soft like a baked potato).
- When the fries are done, melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat until it foams. Add the chopped garlic and swirl it around for a minute or two to infuse the butter. Toss the fries in large bowl with the garlic, butter, parsley and paprika. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve. Potatoes can be held in warm oven.
- When serving, dollop with a little sour cream if desired.
Leave a review or comment