Mediterranean style FILLING for Mexican TacosPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Foodessa345 recipes>
This is a long standing versatile recipe from my personal repertoire of the tried and succeeded. This mix will suit a large array of meals. I've adapted this mix to over a dozen recipes already. Enjoy. For a dedicated post...refer to: http://www.foodessa.com/2010/05/mexican-italian-style-fiesta-meal.html
- . > (American /Metric measures) <
- .. 2 Tbsps. (30ml) e.v.Olive oil
- . 2 Tbsps. (30ml) Grape seed oil
- . 2 Tbsps. (30ml) unsalted Butter
- . 1 large, sweet Onion, diced
- . 3 mild, Italian style Sausages, cased, broken-up
- . 1 lb. (450g) medium-lean meat of choice, minced
- . 2 stalks of Celery, thinly sliced
- . 2 large Carrots, halved, thinly sliced
- . 1 large red Bell Pepper, diced
- . 1 small can of Italian crushed Tomato
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) fortified Port or Sherry
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) sea Salt,
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) granulated Garlic powder
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) each dried Herbs: Oregano, Basil, Mint, Marjoram, Sage, Rosemary, Tarragon
- . 1 tsp.(5ml) ground Cinnamon
- . 1 can each of rinsed sweet corn kernels and red kidney beans (optionals)
- >>Now, let's tackle the amount of Chili Pepper you should add. This all really depends on your taste buds and capacity to withstand the heat. So you definitely have free range on this one...go for it.
- . In a large deep pan, heat the oils and butter on MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the onions and cook them for about 10 minutes.
- . Add the sausage and other minced meat. Cook until almost done. LOWER the heat to MEDIUM. At this point, remove this mix and set it aside and cover to keep warm.
- . Meanwhile, in the same pan, add the remaining vegetables. Cook about 15 minutes. Add the crushed tomato and cook a few more minutes.
- . Pour in the Port and cook for about 5 minutes before adding in the seasoning.
- . Then, add back in the meat mix. If using, add the canned beans and corn as well. Combine and close the heat. Cover the pan and set it aside until ready to use.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com
Leave a review or comment