Mediterranean Lemon Pepper Chicken
This would also be delicious with pork or maybe even fish.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 lemons
- 2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 2 c. chicken broth or water
- 1 can chick-peas or garbanzos, liquid removed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Wondra or flour (optional)
- Cut lemons into 2 halves each.
- Rub chicken with one lemon half.
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in extra virgin olive oil until soft and golden brown colored.
- Rub chicken with lemon pepper.
- Sear chicken on both sides in the onion and extra virgin olive oil. Add in garlic and saute for 1 more minute or possibly till garlic is lightly colored.
- Add in broth or water and liquid removed chick-peas or garbanzos, the juice from the lemons and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 min or just until chicken is tender (depends upon size of chicken breasts).
- If a thicker sauce is desired, stir flour (or Wondra) into sauce during final 15 min of cooking. 10 min before serving, stir in parsley (save a healthy pinch for garnishing).
- Taste and adjust seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken with chick-peas or garbanzos on the side; top with sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in the sauce and served the next day over pasta or rice or sprinkled with mozzarella and baked till cheese melts and chicken has reheated.
Leave a review or comment