Masoor Dal Carrot Sambar (Indian Dal Curry)Prep: 25 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 5by Navaneetham Krishnan370 recipes>
Enjoy the deliciousness with bread, tosai, idli, roti canai or rice. For me, it has to be rice; mash, mash and yum, yum!!!
- 1 cup masoor dal - soaked for 20 minutes and rinsed
- 1 medium size carrot - remove skin and cut into medium size stripes
- 5 shallots - remove skin
- 1/2 inch ginger - sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric/kunyit powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (more if you like) curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 3 sprigs curry leaves - shredded/sliced
- 2-3 dried red chilies - cut into pieces
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- Add dal, shallots, ginger and turmeric in a pot.
- Pour about 3 cups of water.
- Simmer and cook till dal is half cooked.
- Put in carrot stripes, coriander and chili powder.
- Season with salt.
- Stir and let it simmer (about 5 mins)
- Note: longer if you prefer carrot to soften further.
- In another pan, heat oil and temper curry leaves, chilies and
- mustard seeds.
- Tip into sambar mixture.
- Off the heat and stir in yoghurt.
Leave a review or comment