Masala Dhal (Tarka Dhal)
- 225 gm Massoor dhal, (split red lentils)
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 6 x Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 175 gm Onion tarka
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Curry masala paste
- 2 tsp Garam masala Salt to taste
- Pick through the lentils to remove any grit, rinse several times and drain, then soak in water for 4 hrs.
- Drain and rinse the lentils then measure an amount of water twice the volume of the liquid removed lentils into a 2.25 lire saucepan. Bring to a boil, add in the lentils and simmer for 30 min, stirring as the water is absorbed. The texture should be pourable, not too thick or possibly thin.
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee in a karahi or possibly wok, and stir-fry the seeds and turmeric for about 30 seconds. Add in the garlic and continue to fry for another minute. Add in most of the tarka and masala paste and, when simmering, turn off the heat.
- When the lentils are cooked, add in the stir-fry and salt to taste.
- Serve garnished with the remaining tarka.
Leave a review or comment