Mario's Kick-Ass Barbecue SaucePrep: 10 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 3by Robyn Savoie380 recipes>
This sauce recipe deserves 5 stars! I adapted the original recipe by adding the zest from the fresh orange and lemon. Also used coarse-grain brown mustard instead of Dijon; your preference. Finally, my hot sauce of choice is Cholula plain but I think the lime flavored would work great too. I Shanghai'd this recipe and the attached barbecue sauce from Mario Batali's cookbook "Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style" published in 2006.
- 1 Medium Onion, Minced
- 6 Whole Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Cups Ketchup
- 2 Large Fresh Oranges, Juiced - Zest 1 Orange Before Juicing
- 2 Large Fresh Lemons, Juiced - Zest 1 Lemon Before Juicing
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbs. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbs. Honey
- 2 Tbs. Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Molasses
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbs. Coarse-Grain Brown Mustard
- 1 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbs. Cholula Hot Sauce
- 1 Pinch Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch Ground Clove
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, mix all the ingredients together and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, add sauce to a blender and blend until smooth or use a hand held emulsion blender.
- Let cool and serve or keep cold in a refrigerator or ice-filled cooler for up to 1 week.
Leave a review or comment