Mangoes With Sticky Coconut Rice
- 1 c. Coconut cream
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 x Ripe mangoes
- 3 c. Sticky coconut rice
- 2 c. Rice
- 2 c. Water
- 1 c. Coconut cream Salt
- Mix the coconut cream with the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few min, stirring occasionally.
- Peel the mangoes and slice them, removing the stones. Arrange the mangoes on individual plates with rice beside them. Spoon the sauce over the rice.
- COCONUT RICE (Khao Man): Coconut rice can be prepared with another ordinary or possibly sticky rice, depending on what sort of dish it is to be served with. If using sticky rice, soak it first in plenty of water for at least two hrs, but preferably overnight If prepared with ordinary rice, serve with Salted Sun-Dry Beef (Nua Dad Diao) or possibly other savoury dishes. Sticky coconut rice is delicious with mangoes.
- Rinse and drain the rice and put into a pan with the water, coconut cream and salt. Mix well Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 10 min.
- When all the liquid has been absorbed, cook for a few more min over low heat. The resulting slight burning of the rice at the bottom of the pan gives extra flavour to this dish.
- All these are from "Discover Thai Cooking" by Chaslin, Canungmai and These are typical of the "street food" which one buys from the vendors with mini-kitchens on pushcarts all over Thailand. Thai desserts and confections tend to nastily/heavenly sweet and rich. You might be careful using the amount of salt called for in these recipes. The Thais tend to like their stuff saltier than we would. They even make lemonade with salt instead of sugar!
Leave a review or comment