Mango Key Lime Pie
- 1 c. graham cracker crumbs, up to 1 1/4
- 1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 c. brown rice syrup or possibly pure maple syrup
- 2 med ripe mangoes
- 1 1/2 c. low-fat soy lowfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. agar-agar flakes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot pwdr
- 1/3 c. fresh lime juice (from 5 to 7 Key limes or possibly 3 regular limes)
- 1/2 c. brown rice syrup or possibly pure maple syrup
- 3 x kiwifruits, peeled
- 8 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- Smaller and more tart than the familiar Persian limes, Key limes were once grown exclusively in the Florida Keys but now flourish in the Bahamas, the Caribbean and Mexico. They give this dessert its characteristic flavor, but if you cannot find them, you can substitute regular limes.
- Use a sweetener of your choice:Rice syrup creates a filling with an authentic pale yellow color, but maple syrup tastes the best.
- Prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil 10-inch pie pan and set aside.
- In food processor, combine graham crackers and coconut and process to fine crumbs. Blend in oil using on/off pulses, then blend in syrup. (The mix should hold together when squeezed between your fingers; add in more sweetener if necessary.) Press mix into bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Bake till golden brown, 10 to 12 min. Transfer to wire rack to cold. If crust buckles, gently press it back down after it cools.
- Meanwhile, dice 1 mango and process in food processor till pureed. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, combine soy lowfat milk, agar-agar and salt, stirring to submerge agar-agar. Bring mix to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to low and simmer till agar-agar dissolves, about 5 min.
- In c., dissolve arrowroot in water to cover. Add in to lowfat milk mix and whisk over low heat till slightly thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in lime juice, A c. syrup and mango puree. Spoon filling into prepared crust.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface and chill till set, 45 to 60 min.
- To serve, thinly slice remaining mango. Arrange mango slices on top of pie, spoke-fashion, slightly overlapping. Thinly slice 1 kiwifruit and arrange into flower petals in center of pie. Chop remaining kiwifruit, then scatter over mango.
Leave a review or comment