Mamma Giglio's Recipe Pasta Di San Giuse
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 x Cloves of minced garlic
- 1 pch Red pepper flakes
- 2 c. Minced fresh fennel
- 2 c. Crushed tomatoes and
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh basil.
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. Fine breadcrumbs, (homemade or possibly fresh from a bakery, not pre-packaged such as Colonna's).
- St. Joseph's sauce: Heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in large pot. Saute/fry 5 cloves of minced garlic + a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes. Add in 2 c. minced fresh fennel. Add in 2 c. crushed tomatoes and 2 Tablespoons paste, 1 Tablespoons minced fresh basil.
- Cover and let simmer 30 min till fennel is very tender. Then add in 4 cans of liquid removed, skinless, and boneless sardines. Simmer just a few more min.
- Topping: Heat 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. Add in 1 c. fine breadcrumbs
- (homemade or possibly fresh from a bakery, not pre-packaged such as Colonna's). Cook over low heat till golden.
- Cook pasta, top with sauce, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Traditional breadcrumb-covered pasta is as important as desserts for this special feast day. Mamma Giglio made it annually for her family.
- [Mamma Giglio died near Valentine's Day 1998. Her loved ones submitted her recipe and it's here as a tribute in honor of Mamma.]
Leave a review or comment