Madras Curry Fried ChickenPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 4by Foreign Cinema3 recipes>
Serve with a fresh green salad. The chicken may also be served room temperature or cold for picnics. In the summer, ratatouille is also a wonderful accompaniment with chicken.
- Madras Curry mixture:
- 3 Tablespoons Madras curry
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Small pinch granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes
- (You can also substitute with yellow curry if Madras curry is not available).
- Frying Chicken:
- 1 roasting chicken, about 3 pounds, cut into eight pieces: breast, wing, leg and thigh; skin on
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Chicken Flour Mix:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- For frying the chicken:
- 4 cups peanut or grape seed oil
- Combine all the curry ingredients and mix well.
- To season the chicken, liberally salt the chicken pieces, then lightly rub the curry mix over the chicken pieces. (At the restaurant the chef covers and refrigerates the chicken over night for maximum flavor punch).
- Place all the ingredients of the chicken flour in a large bowl and mix together until well blended.
- Preheat the oil in a cast iron skillet to 300 degrees. (Use a candy or frying thermometer to do this.)
- While the oil is gently warming, dip the curried chicken pieces into the buttermilk, and then into the flour mix, covering each piece thoroughly with flour and rest on a plate. Repeat this step until all the chicken is breaded.
- When the oil is hot, place chicken pieces skin side down gently into skillet. DO not overcrowd. Be cautious of hot oil splattering.
- Cook chicken on one side until golden brown, about 7 -8 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over gently and finish cooking until done, about 5 to 7 more minutes. Continue this until all the chicken is cooked. You may add more oil if needed. Be sure the oil temperature is hot (300 degrees) each time so that the chicken cooks evenly.
- Place the fried chicken on a rack on a sheet pan. Place in a warm 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
Leave a review or comment